World wanderer – 23 years of incredible adventures travelling to and through every country on the planet.
He left Calgary when the Flames were Stanley Cup champions, acid-wash jeans were the rage and an obscure little band named Nirvana had just signed to Sub Pop Records.
That was 23 years ago, and after a pint of Guinness in Ireland to celebrate landing his final passport stamp this week, Mike Spencer Bown is at last ready to return home, having extensively travelled every single country and region on earth.
That word, "extensive," is key: Others have visited just as many countries, but Bown made a point of sticking around and immersing himself each culture.
For that reason, the Calgarian can now lay claim to the title of most extensively travelled person in human history.
"People are basically good & worth knowing whatever the race or culture they hail from,"
– Mike Spencer Bown
"Good people greatly outnumber nasty people, worldwide. There is a network that existed long before facebook, and it is the network of persons of good will, who will introduce and pass you to other persons of good will, such that you can take a friendly look around a town, a nation or the world, as you like. There is no similar network among nasty people, they are on their own, and if you know what is good for you, leave them alone."
– Mike Spencer Bown
- World's most traveled man, 44, who holds title of 'first ever tourist in war-torn Mogadishu' finally unpacks his rucksack after 23 years
- Get Inspired With Mike Spencer Bown The World's Most Traveled Man
Get Inspired – Mosaffer
- The most well-travelled man in the world
The Weather Network
- The Travelling Man: Mike Spencer Bown
The Current: CBC Radio (22 Minute Interview)
- After 23 years, 'world's most travelled man' takes a pause
Canada AM: CTV News
- Most-Traveled Man Hangs Up His Walkin' Shoes
- Tips from the world's most travelled man
- Mike Spencer Bown: most travelled man retires
- Wanderlust's end: Canadian traveller returns home – 23 years and 195 countries later
The National Post
- Legendary traveller returns home to Canada
- After 23 years travelling the world, Mike Spencer Bown set to leave Ireland and return home
- World traveller visits Skibbereen
The Southern Star
- Calgary man Mike Spencer Bown becomes world's most travelled after finishing 23-year odyssey
- 'World's Most Traveled' Man, Mike Spencer Bown, Heads Home After 23-Year Journey
The Huffington Post
- After 23 years, 'world's most traveled' man is ready to go home
- Calgarian returns home after 23 years travelling around the world
- Mike Spencer Bown Completes His Travels After 23 Year Journey
- Guest Blogger Michael Spencer Bown: The Top 80 Highlights of the World
- Mike Spencer Bown tops the most-read Calgary Sun stories of the week
- Somalia Gets a Tourist, Mogadishu Officials Are Baffled
Canadian ends 23-year world trip in Ireland
- Mike Spencer Bown
- Mike Spence Bown
Facebook page (Russian)